4.28.2006

Back to the North

A week from now, I'll be back in Arlington. I'm happy to go home, because I have an internship that I am incredibly excited about, but I'm really going to miss Charleston. I'm especially going to miss being able to walk everywhere (except Target and the beach), now that gas prices are crazy.
So, before I head home, a little bit of local news: a bill recently introduced in the South Carolina legislature would make sex toys illegal. It is based on current laws which prohibit dissemination and advertisement of obscene materials.
Not to rain on Rep Ralph Davenport's parade, but this is the kind of law which honestly gives the conservative movement a bad name. I'm sure he has good intentions, but the fact is, there isn't a decent precedent for upholding this law, and nor should there be one. I'm pretty damn conservative, but my overall philosophy could be stated thusly: the government needs to keep it's hands out of that which does not directly concern it. John Stuart Mill's philosophy on liberty rings true for me when he states that men are only responsible to society for those things which concern society. Maybe more later, but right now I have a final paper to work on, and I need to be at work in an hour.
-The Quartermaster

3 Comments:

  • What was this guy smoking? The gov't doesn't belong in the bedroom! That'd be along the same vein as outlawing premarital sex, or smoking, or alcohol, because it's "morally offensive." They need to just mind their business. Not mine.

    Apparently common sense is anything but, these days.

    By Blogger The Anti-Hippie, at 1:28 AM  

  • wow. Well, you know the terrorists use those sex toys against America.

    By Blogger Michelle, at 10:22 AM  

  • along the lines of it being illegal in VA to have sex in any position but missionary? or with your socks off? u gota wonder...

    By Blogger Ellen K, at 8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home