2.06.2006

Really need to stop doing this...

I think at some point I will have to stop visiting the NOW website, it only ever makes me mad. But seriously, I enjoy getting angry, or I would never pick up a newspaper (or attend NOW meetings, or get to Political Inquiry class on time to hear my professor's rants). So, here are a few of the things that NOW is so proud of doing in 2005:

-Saving Social Security from being eviscerated by greedy brokers on Wall Street and their congressional mouthpieces.
-Forcing the Bush administration to restore collection of statistics about women's employment. Without them, it's harder to prove the extent of the wage gap and other workplace discrimination.

We are truly thankful, NOW, and grateful to Kim Gandy and her cronies. Why, without them, Social Security might have been reformed, and people of my generation might not have to worry about having to pay an arm and a leg (or both legs, depending on what kind of job you have) to pay for the retirement of all the retiring yuppies who were too busy having careers to have children. There will be significantly more old people needing social security checks while I am trying to make a living than there were for my parents' generation. Thanks a lot, guys. Really.
And of course, with more faulty and incomplete data, we can continue to rally behind the battle-cry "75 cents to a man's dollar! And less if you're black!". Never mind that I have yet to see a statistic that conclusively proves that women make less than men for the same work, and believe me, I've looked. All the data sets that I have seen which claim to show wage discrimination have glaring flaws in methodology that even an entry level statistics scholar like yours-truly can pick out. But they never make the methodology widely known, just the end result.
So, thank God(dess) for NOW. Fighting the brave fight, making sure that women everywhere have equal access to bankrupt social security and faulty statistical data.
-The Quartermaster

4 Comments:

  • Mmmm... sweet sarcasm...

    By Blogger The Anti-Hippie, at 11:48 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Rebekah, at 2:32 PM  

  • You'd better be careful criticizing NOW... you could get in serious trouble... Hehe. I wonder how long it'll be before they realize they're completely useless?

    By Blogger Rebekah, at 2:33 PM  

  • Are you kidding Rebekah? As long as there is any danger that people might decide that its morally wrong to kill babies, as long as there are fake statistics to be manufactured and handed out, as long as there are conservatives going around doing crazy things like cutting taxes, there will be a NOW.

    By Blogger The Triumvirate, at 4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home