2.01.2006

Idiot of the Week

This is just too good to be a simple idiot of the day. Cindy Sheehan, who gained fame (or infamy, depending on your perspective) by using the death of her son Casey in Iraq (I will add that he volunteered, and would have known at the time what he was getting into) as a political tool in her anti-war protests. Her early flip-flop on the issue of meeting with the President when he first offered his condolences, and her family's objection to her use of Casey's story as a catalyst for her protest activities were exposed in the Drudge Report, and quickly dismissed by the liberal media.

Anyway, last night, before the SOTU address, she was arrested and forced to leave the Capitol building for wearing an anti-war t-shirt. One isn't supposed to protest inside the building, presumably to maintain a level of decorum, something she obviously doesn't understand, having proven by her Crawford protest that she has no respect for boundaries of any kind. As is to be expected, she wrote an entry for the Daily Kos explaining "what really happened". I'll just put a few choice quotes up here, since the last thing I want is to cause vomiting or fits of hysterics, but you can get the whole thing here

"I was having second thoughts about going to the SOTU at the Capitol. I didn't feel comfortable going. I knew George Bush would say things that would hurt me and anger me and I knew that I couldn't disrupt the address because Lynn had given me the ticket and I didn't want to be disruptive out of respect for her."

So let me get this straight: you didn't want to go because Bush might hurt your feelings (sniffle-sniffle, whine-whine), and you wouldn't be able to make an uproar one he did? So you would go if every time he said something you didn't agree with, you could stand up and start hurling profanities at him? And the only reason you couldn't cause an uproar is out of respect for Lynn Woolsey (the congresswoman who invited her)? How about out of respect for the office of president, the importance of the event, a sense of common decency, or maybe just the realization that this isn't about your feelings? But of course, Cindy put her scruples aside because "Lynn's office had already called the media and everyone knew I was going to be there". So you went because in your world, it really is all about you.

She goes on to describe being roughly removed by one of the Capitol police officers, whose name she then reveals just in case some of her cronies decide to make him the target of their vindictive spirit. Interestingly, in the comments posted by supporters, one raving liberal makes this statement: "Cindy that guard who rough-housed you should be fired! We need to start a petition to fire Mike Weight! As if he didn't know who you were." Oh yes, let's blame the poor guy charged with carrying out the rules rather than the one whop broke them. And why does it matter who the hell you are? Do the rules not apply to you because your son died in Iraq? A lot of women have lost their sons in the course of history; while sad, it doesn't make you above the rules of decency.

In a moment (or several) of self-indulgent pity, she reveals that she has the bruises and muscle spasms to prove how roughly she was treated, and and relates how spending four hours in jail has her "so upset and sore it is hard to think straight." If I recall correctly, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr wrote his famous Letter From a Birmingham Jail from, get this, a jail cell. Not that I want to smear King's name by associating him in any way with Sheehan, just make the point that actual civil rights leaders didn't spend a measely four hours in jail, then get released and immediately start whining to a sympathetic forum about how hard the police officer held their arm while removing them from the scene of the crime.

I know I've been going on for a while, but I haven't even gotten to the best part. Sheehan mentions that while being processed, an officer noticed her shirt, and mentioned that he just got back from Iraq. This prompts her best display yet:

"I told him that my son died there. That's when the enormity of my loss hit me. I have lost my son. I have lost my First Amendment rights. I have lost the country that I love. Where did America go? I started crying in pain."

So wait, all that time you were protesting, you hadn't realized your loss yet? Then what were you protesting for? I'd also like to point out that she didn't get arrested walking down the street; she got arrested at the one place where you are not supposed to protest, during a speech that she admitted she would have liked to disrupt. In a typical hysterical fashionl, she has extrapolated from this that the Bush administration is responsible not only for the murder of her child, but for the death of her country. It must be hard to live in her little world. I'm surprised she has yet to be diagnosed with some kind of paranoia.

Her entry is followed by all manner of stupidity; it would take hours to read and dissect that much liberal raving, and I have homework to do, but I do want to point out one more common thread of all the various comments. It seems that liberals see her arrest as the Bush administration trying to silence all dissent. Too bad Beverly Young, wife of a Republican Congressman, was also asked to leave, for wearing a shirt that said "Support the Troops - Defending Our Freedom." So, as part of a right-wing conspiracy, Bush is having people who support him treated the same way as people who don't. I wonder what his motive might be. Never mind that he didn't exactly make the rules governing the Capitol building, nor was he enforcing them at the time, as he was busy making the State of the Union speech.

I really do love people like Cindy Sheehan. They make such easy targets. As Voltaire put it, "I have always made one prayer to God, a very short one. Here it is: 'My God, make our enemies very ridiculous!' God has granted it to me." How true.
-The Quartermaster

3 Comments:

  • I just gotta point out that she was removed from the Capitol for wearing a T-shit with writing on it by the Capitol Police. She was an invited guest, entitled to be there because of an invitation from a member from California. My understanding is that Capitol Police only removed her because of the t-shirt. Capitol Police removed a Republican Lawmaker’s wife for wearing a t-shirt as well.

    ~Sean

    By Blogger Sean, at 7:38 PM  

  • Unless I'm misunderstanding you, both your points were addressed in this post:

    "Anyway, last night, before the SOTU address, she was arrested and forced to leave the Capitol building for wearing an anti-war t-shirt."

    "...Beverly Young, wife of a Republican Congressman, was also asked to leave, for wearing a shirt that said 'Support the Troops - Defending Our Freedom.'"

    -The Talent

    By Blogger The Triumvirate, at 8:30 PM  

  • I just blogrolled you. Keep up the good work. You are very insightful and your writing style is entertaining. Thanks for your comment on my blog as well.

    By Blogger Sailorcurt, at 10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home