2.09.2006

And you thought Valentine's Day was depressing before...

So, Valentine's Day has long had a bad reputation among those of us who tend towards being single. I've been single every Valentine's Day of my life thus far (which, granted, is not a terribly long time), and while we all like to moan about how it's just a cheap Hallmark holiday invented to sell greeting cards and chocolate, I've always been kind of a fan of it. Yeah, even while single, you can still appreciate the concept of celebrating romantic love, something that our society seems to devalue to a large degree in the rapid over-sexualization of modern relationships. It represents an ideal, something worth looking for and waiting for. Even without a significant other, you can still enjoy the day by gathering around the TV with your girlfriends and watching Pride and Prejudice and worshipping Mr. Darcy and wishing you were Elizabeth Bennet. Or maybe it's just me who does that. Anyway, that's not the point of this post.

The point is, Valentine's day has become the new prom night. That's right, people, put away your flowers and chocolates and ideals and silly romantic notions and just get laid! Who needs a relationship when you can just have sex? On campus, Valentine's day is being celebrated by Voices for Planned Parenthood with a sex toy party. No, I didn't just make that up. And you can also buy condom roses from the health center. The beauty of these bouquets (each rose is made with two condoms) is that the condoms remain intact and usable. If any guy bought me condom roses, all he would get is a cutting remark in the style of Elizabeth Bennet. Seriously, even as a joke it's a little obscene. Don't even get me started about the fact that stores who cater to the young teenager to college kid age group are aggressively marketing underwear as the perfect Valentine's day gift for that special someone. See above comment for my response to having underwear purchased for me as a "romantic" gift. Welcome to the culture of sex; hope my generation makes it through alive (and not completely emotionally f***ed up).
-The Quartermaster

4 Comments:

  • Highly over rated day. Conditioning says we need this and that that says love.
    In a committed relationship every day says I love you.
    As for a lets hop in the sack kinda time. Well its just empty after the deed.

    By Blogger Patty, at 11:36 PM  

  • I just popped to say thanks for telling that conspiracy nutter on my blog that his comments were disgusting. I don't know which of the three of you did that. But thanks.

    I enjoyed this post and have already seen a few more that I want to read.

    I see my friend, Patty, has also paid you a visit.

    By Blogger Patrick Joubert Conlon, at 8:56 AM  

  • It's really sad that a day originally about being IN love has turned into something so empty, not to mention something so slutty.

    By Blogger The Anti-Hippie, at 11:41 AM  

  • I think it's just being in college. It's like some of them never got over their horny teenager stage. Personally I refuse to go outdoors on Valentines day. It is just a horible day.

    By Blogger gwen, at 8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home