7.29.2005

Over There

Tonight's topic of discussion is FX's new show by Steven Bocho, "Over There". I watched the episode two nights ago, and I'm still trying to make up my mind about it. It was well done, I thought. Not too Hollywoody, I didn't think. But then, I'm not a soldier, nor am I related to a soldier. I don't really know what it's like "Over There" because I'm not "Over There". The two things that bothered me about OT are:

1)I don't think anyone can really know what it's like to fight a war, unless they have themselves. We definitely aren't going to be able to feel what it's like by watching a TV show. Especially because movies, and TV, are often riddled with Hollywoodisms, and the screen-writer's/creator's views(as with most art). Thus, I think it's HIGHLY unlikely that this recreation of the Iraq War will be very accurate with a lot of things, mainly the relationships of the actual soldiers. I could be wrong, as I've only seen the first episode, and I'm not a soldier myself, but I think it's likely.

2)This isn't really a rational, logical thing, more of an emotional one: I don't know that I like the idea of making entertainment out of something that's happening RIGHT NOW. Our boys are over in Iraq, RIGHT NOW. It just seems...wrong, somehow. If, for example, someone was going to do a show about a soldier's life in France during WWII, using history, and interviews with veterans and vets' families and whatnot, that would be ok. This just seems wrong.

S'all for now. Peace.

-The Talent

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home