4.06.2005

Schiavo Revisited(kind of)

I know you all are probably sick of this case, but there you go. Suck it up.

You already know that I don't think we had the right to decide to end Terri's life because we deem her condition to be too horrible to live in. If she was not aware of herself, as most doctors say, then she wouldn't be suffering anyway. However, there is also the case of what she would have wanted, which is what they based the decision on. We can't base a huge decision, to end a life, on a something she may or may not have said in a (presumably) casual conversation. If she had written a will, saying that if she were in a situation like this, she would want to be killed, then, although I might disagree, that's the way it is. But she didn't write a will. And there are also her parents saying that she wouldn't have wanted to be put to death. So we have two different opinions coming from two equally involved parties on what Terri would have wanted. However the courts decided that there was far more evidence to suggest that Terri did want to be killed in a like situation, then the opposite.

There's also the issue of the value of human life in general. You've all heard the phrase "err on the side of life", and I support it. If we must make an error, then let it not be one which results in the death of an innocent. I believe that all innocent human life, no matter how lowly, is valuable. By determining someone's "quality of life" we are placing a value on it(I think I read that somewhere, but I don't know where). So when you say that it isn't worth living because of the "quality" you are de-valuing it. Which is to devalue life itself. This is partially because I'm a Catholic, and you know us Catholics. Big with the life. However, I also think it is in the best interest of a society to uphold the value of life. If we start saying different people's lives aren't worth living for different reasons, then what's to stop us from going farther down the slippery slope, to say that, oh for instance, a retard's life isn't worth living? It sounds like a stretch, I know, but I don't think it's so much of a stretch that we should disregard the possibility. Wasn't there a country that started this kind of thing way back....oh yeeeaahh. Nazi Germany.
I do support the death penalty, however. I was trying to write this bit about why, and what I think about it in general, but it was taking forever, and damnit, one of has to post SOMETHING. Maybe later. But on the thing about killing unborn babies and the brain-damaged and whatnot, is that they are innocent life, as opposed to someone who has murdered. They have done nothing wrong, and yet the are seen as expendable.

More on the news tomorrow.

-The Talent

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home